I love documentaries. They are a powerful way to discover all the secrets the food industries have been hiding from us for years.
I have put together a list of my eight favourite food related documentaries that have inspired me to lead a healthy lifestyle.
If you’re in need of some motivation to kickstart your journey to a healthy lifestyle, or simply just want to learn more about the food industry, definitely give these ones a watch!
1. Hungry for Change
– This eye-opening doco exposes interesting and shocking secrets the diet and food industries have been hiding from us for years. ‘Hungry for Change’ will help you understand food addictions, why fad diets do not work and and tell you the truth about ‘sugar-free’ and ‘fat-free’ products. This documentary will definitely leave you hungry for change
2. That Sugar Film
– Did you know that 80% of the food products in a supermarket contain added sugar?! This figure blew my mind too! If you’re not really in to watching documentaries, i promise this is one that you will enjoy! Australia director Damon Gameau puts his body on the line and spends 60 days eating perceived “healthy foods” such as yoghurt, juice, muesli bars, breakfast cereal etc. The end result is shocking! Sugar is killing us, and it’s time we do something about it!
– If you eat a lot of meat, you must watch this documentary. Cowspiracy highlights the harmful effects the animal agriculture industry has on our environment and our health. This doco shows how meat and dairy production is destroying our planet. After watching this I was certainly inspired to reduce my meat and dairy consumption.
4. Food inc.
– This incredible documentary shows where our food really comes from. How it is raised, picked, handled, altered, transported and sold. It also reveals how harmful the corporate controlled food industry is not just to our health but also to the environment. And we can’t forget about the poor animals. Cows in some factory farms stand ankle deep in their manure all day long, so if one cow has E. Coli, others can get it too. It shows a story of a 2 year boy who ate a humburger contaminated with E. Coli ended up dead in 12 days! So heartbreaking!
5. Food Matters
– This documentary focuses on how eating a wholefood diet can treat a range of medical conditions such as diabetes, heart disease and even depression. By eating a diet rich in wholefoods we can reduce our need for pharmaceutical medication. You are what you eat. Food does matter.
6. Forks Over Knives
– This one is a must see! ‘Forks Over Knives’ highlights the amazing health benefits of a plant-based diet. 63% of the Australian population are overweight (thats two out of every three people!) and its rapidly increasing. We can reduce this statistic by reducing our meat, dairy and processed food consumption and instead base our diets around vegetables, fruits and wholegrains.
7. Fed up
– Another one you absolutely must see. This doco focuses mainly on the childhood obesity epidemic in the US. It’s not surprising that over 35% of children in the US are overweight when you see the food that is served in school cafeterias – fast food such as nachos, hamburgers, pizza, Taco Bell and McDonald’s are being served to children every day!
8. Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead
– Morbidly obese and suffering from illness, Joe Cross vows to only consume fresh fruit and vegetable juice for 60 days to regain his health. The end result is absolutely amazing, and I promise it will inspire to you change your eating habits!
Oh, and if you have any suggestions of other food documentaries you could recommend for me to watch, please leave a comment 😊